Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
XoXo27

Cod 4 maps

Hello im Chips..

I decided to create this topic to talk about cod 4 maps, the maps in VSG server are: Crossfire, Broadcast, Strike, Crash, Overgrown, District and Backlot ( hope i didnt forget anything ). So when i asked about why some maps are not in the map rotation, i got an answer that when the chosen map is vacant, big amount of the players leave, but that doesnt make sense because a map like overgrown get chosen rarely aday. ( Also District) 

So i suggest the head admins to take this topic into considiration, and think about adding vacant or maybe showdown and deleting overgrown or district ( if its not possible maybe add them without deleting).

I hope admins and random players see this topic and give me  thoughts and idea's, it would be interesting to see what others think 😃 

• Like 1

As for the other maps that are not in the pool, yes, when these maps are chosen, the population of the server drops. 

We have run all maps in rotation, but it is the players on the server who consistently vote for the same maps again and again, hence the current map pool. Not surprisingly, these maps are the ones that have been proven to work on SND (see comp pool).

With the voting, there is no point to add more maps, as they do not get voted for, or if they do, it will be a vote for novelty, a few rounds are played, then the playerbase realises that downpour is terrible on SND, angrily types "shit map" and leaves.

If we were to add more maps, then we would have to consider to removing the voting system, and force the rotation to ensure diversity. However this has been discussed before, and the hit to both the amount of players, and server metrics is not worth it.

As it stands, the map pool will stay the same as has been proven to be the requested pool as per the playerbase.

This does not mean however that myself and the admin team are not open to discussion, and would be delighted to be presented with different viewpoints.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Overgrown was added as per request, it doesn't get chosen, and is shockingly bad for SND, so will be removed.

Double check this is factual before removing. 

I feel like Overgrown has gives the server a nice break of hardcore rushing with the other maps. I don't feel like there's a lot of people that leave as some people would suggest but am willing to search through thousands of log lines to double check this. 

My personal view hasn't changed on the maps of Core. You'll always here those who complain, scream and shout, not like you're doing it, rather than those who are happy with what they have. I feel like we're only hearing the complaints about the maps and not hearing those who are happy with the rotation. That said, I do encourage this conversation though I'm affraid we'll end up in the same situation with not adding any maps, removing overgrown again until a years time when we add it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Overgrown was added as per request, it doesn't get chosen, and is shockingly bad for SND, so will be removed.

As for the other maps that are not in the pool, yes, when these maps are chosen, the population of the server drops. 

We have run all maps in rotation, but it is the players on the server who consistently vote for the same maps again and again, hence the current map pool. Not surprisingly, these maps are the ones that have been proven to work on SND (see comp pool).

With the voting, there is no point to add more maps, as they do not get voted for, or if they do, it will be a vote for novelty, a few rounds are played, then the playerbase realises that downpour is terrible on SND, angrily types "shit map" and leaves.

If we were to add more maps, then we would have to consider to removing the voting system, and force the rotation to ensure diversity. However this has been discussed before, and the hit to both the amount of players, and server metrics is not worth it.

As it stands, the map pool will stay the same as has been proven to be the requested pool as per the playerbase.

This does not mean however that myself and the admin team are not open to discussion, and would be delighted to be presented with different viewpoints.

If you were to remove Overgrown, that would be a mistake. Myself and a lot of other players look at that map as a breath of fresh air. With the same maps being voted for every single day, a new map (even if it's bad) is lovely to play once in a while. 

Now I've seen Chips playing late GMT, around when the server has around 6-12 players. I think he's speaking for them, because adding other maps that's unpopular during the peak time of players would be a risk, but I really don't think it would be that bad. Most of the players we already have has been playing on the server constant for years. Would they leave if we swapped 1-2 maps once a month? I don't think so. 

Chips, I fully agree with you. I'm starting to get tired of the same maps over and over, would love to see something change for the better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Chips, I fully agree with you. I'm starting to get tired of the same maps over and over, would love to see something change for the better.

We need ideas. Throw them our way. This is for everyone too. Like, if you think a map will work, tell us how you think it would work, the routes people would go and bomb locations.

More maps are great, but not when they don't get used.

• Like 1

I personally feel like voting system should be removed and we should introduce a rotation.

Which include current maps plus a few more such as ambush, Creek, vacant.

Basically this will be best strat which will force people to play generally all those maps since in voting system, pretty much everyone gets tired of the repitition between crash cross strike.

Unless of course this will put our server a bit down in the list. Welp, basically any change we do now, will result the same. 

• Like 2

I agree with @Lex ,   i think we at least should try to add map or two, make a vote here or on discord..  im playing  s&d  often and  theres always same maps ... its just not that fun anymore.. also i  was talking with other members and players few times , most of them would like to see new maps...

For Overgrown im not that sure .. in my personal opinion  , well its not that bad map its kinda diffrent than others...but also turth is that i saw many times ppls leave Overgrown...

• Like 2

How about: We keep the voting system and just add a banner on the server which say:

VSG BOT: Come on the discord to vote for the "Map of the Week"!

Then we choose the map with the more upvote each Week (or Month) and replace the other one in the rotation.
A new outsider map is here to breack the routine but the classical map are still enable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BunnyBro said:

How about: We keep the voting system and just add a banner on the server which say:

Then we choose the map with the more upvote each Week (or Month) and replace the other one in the rotation.
A new outsider map is here to breack the routine but the classical map are still enable.

I like this idea...

I agree with @Army_SD.

Adding fresh maps wouldn't work because the majority of votes will keep going to played maps right now. I'm onboard with giving a rotation a chance. Not knowing what map is next will make this more unpredictable and fun. I don't believe players leave new maps because they don't like them, but because they're not good on them.

Supposedly people left when Vacant was chosen, but I remember playing it full a lot of times. The traffic depends on the time zone. The most played maps are empty at some hours of the day. I mean, I might be wrong, I don't have access to the data, but I don't have the impression vacant was unpopular in the slightest.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, eXplow said:

Supposedly people left when Vacant was chosen, but I remember playing it full a lot of times. The traffic depends on the time zone. The most played maps are empty at some hours of the day. I mean, I might be wrong, I don't have access to the data, but I don't have the impression vacant was unpopular in the slightest.

Mate I've been here for 3 years and most of the time the server would be at half the population it was before vacant was chosen. People do vote for it but they also rage in a couple of rounds. Then there are people like me who don't like it.

I do however support the removal of the voting system and BunnyBro's idea for diversity's sake.

Edited by Idiot

5 minutes ago, Idiot said:

Mate I've been here for 3 years and most of the time the server would be at half the population it was before vacant was chosen. People do vote for it but they also rage in a couple of rounds. Then there are people like me who don't like it.

I do however support the removal of the voting system and BunnyBro's idea for diversity's sake.

BunnyBro idea and no voting system doesn't go hand in hand. You either like the idea of keeping the votes but changing a weekly map on the options menu, or you agree with ditching everything and making the map switch automatic.

I don't think BunnyBro idea is going to work, people won't give a shit, the only votes will be from VSG members. Plus, you're adding ONE map into an incredibly stale rotation. It's not going to turn this from a boring and repetitive system into the best thing ever.

I understand the current system is the one who keeps the playerbase more active and consistent. However, that doesn't mean it's an healthy playerbase. The server might be populated, but you have players crying half the day, people leaving all the time (and joining ofc, but what matters here is how long they stay, which isn't very long). I think a bigger change is due, even if it is temporary, no problem if it doesn't work, we go back to what it was or keep trying new stuff.

The truth is that half of the community is getting tired, only a small fraction of the admins are very active, and a lot of them only play for a short period. Of course this is only my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Well the Bunnybro idea can work since we do have some players on our discord. I mean just for a new map in the pool. But I do agree; we need a change.

4 hours ago, BunnyBro said:

This is a really clever and practical idea. I hope it works 

1 hour ago, eXplow said:

BunnyBro idea and no voting system doesn't go hand in hand. You either like the idea of keeping the votes but changing a weekly map on the options menu, or you agree with ditching everything and making the map switch automatic.

I don't think BunnyBro idea is going to work, people won't give a shit, the only votes will be from VSG members. Plus, you're adding ONE map into an incredibly stale rotation. It's not going to turn this from a boring and repetitive system into the best thing ever.

I understand the current system is the one who keeps the playerbase more active and consistent. However, that doesn't mean it's an healthy playerbase. The server might be populated, but you have players crying half the day, people leaving all the time (and joining ofc, but what matters here is how long they stay, which isn't very long). I think a bigger change is due, even if it is temporary, no problem if it doesn't work, we go back to what it was or keep trying new stuff.

The truth is that half of the community is getting tired, only a small fraction of the admins are very active, and a lot of them only play for a short period. Of course this is only my 2 cents.

Main issue - 13 year old game, limited maps, only 5 work well on snd, and people don't want to download custom maps. (bigger issues with visibility for custom maps also). We're kinda against the wall unfortunately.

To further add to the point that only 5 maps work well on snd: only 5 maps work well on 5v5 snd. A map like Distrcit/Citystreets is not viable on a server with an average playerbase of +/- 20 people (same issue with Vacant). I do like the idea of Ambush making a return, as the map was relatively balanced and didn't seem to kill any server population at the time.

The idea of map of the week could indeed be a nice way of adding a breath of fresh air to the server.

As for custom maps, I know we have never tried to actually put them on the server, as a majority of players have shitty download speeds. But what about trying to start with adding a few proven custom maps to Hardened? Maps like Cluster and Marketplace are viable in an snd setting and the reduced average and max. playerbase would make playing these maps really enjoyable i think. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jk said:

To further add to the point that only 5 maps work well on snd: only 5 maps work well on 5v5 snd. A map like Distrcit/Citystreets is not viable on a server with an average playerbase of +/- 20 people (same issue with Vacant). I do like the idea of Ambush making a return, as the map was relatively balanced and didn't seem to kill any server population at the time.

The idea of map of the week could indeed be a nice way of adding a breath of fresh air to the server.

As for custom maps, I know we have never tried to actually put them on the server, as a majority of players have shitty download speeds. But what about trying to start with adding a few proven custom maps to Hardened? Maps like Cluster and Marketplace are viable in an snd setting and the reduced average and max. playerbase would make playing these maps really enjoyable i think. 

Following that line of thought, even the 5 maps that people vote for are not exactly "balanced" with 20+ people. People can and DO spam nades / snowball enemy opponents when the skill balance is low. It happens quite frequently. Unfair and bullshit deaths happen all the time.

I wish I found out about VSG before, so that I could have played in maps such as Bloc, Ambush, Chinatown, maybe Countdown & Pipeline, to see what's so wrong with these maps. They seem fine and I don't see any glaring issues with them, honestly. I don't expect them to be better than the current rotation, in fact they are obviously worse, or else they'd be on it. But a game needs maps. Maps are the heart of CoD4, and lack of them makes the long term repetitive, unexciting, boring.

I think I've said enough about this topic, I'm gonna stop annoying yas. Ty for reading!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jk said:

Thoses maps work well on SND, let's try them on VSG hardened! But it's still a problem for Core.

6 hours ago, eXplow said:

I wish I found out about VSG before, so that I could have played in maps such as Bloc, Ambush, Chinatown, maybe Countdown & Pipeline, to see what's so wrong with these maps. They seem fine and I don't see any glaring issues with them, honestly. I don't expect them to be better than the current rotation, in fact they are obviously worse, or else they'd be on it. But a game needs maps. Maps are the heart of CoD4, and lack of them makes the long term repetitive, unexciting, boring.

I think I've said enough about this topic, I'm gonna stop annoying yas. Ty for reading!

The maps are the heart of any FPS and I hope it will give a revival if we change a bit.
You're not annoying because many players can feel the same.

• Like 3